Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Part II

Welcome to my second installment of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Below are a couple of closeups of my kitchen cabinets. These are a laminate finish over particle board which, in my opinion and experience, are not the sturdiest of surfaces for a kitchen or bathroom.

Notice the wear around the edges of the cabinet door. Most of the doors in my kitchen look like this.


See the worn area behind the knob? Again, most of my cabinet doors look like this. I'm not sure if it is from my scrubbing them or what I use to clean them with, which is Mr. Clean or Pine Sol mixed with water.


This is the second bathroom. I've removed the trim from around the doors and tub and put up paintable wallpaper. I don't think I like the blue though. I am going to paint it a neutral color. This is just a temporary fix until we get around to remodeling this room. The door you see in this picture opens to the laundry room.

The door to the hallway is to the left and the door to the laundry room is to my right. The tub is behind me.

The "chrome finish" plastic faucet is cracked and the plastic sink is scratched, stained, and basically horrible-looking!

This is the master bedroom. Right now it is the master of horror! The size is good though and it gets good light.

Another pic. The door you see opens to the master bath and there is another door beside it, to the left, that opens to our closet.


This picture was taken in my room as well. I took one of the strips down and you can see how wide and deep the gaps between the wall panels are. Some are even wider! It is almost impossible to fill these gaps and sand them in order to paint the walls and get great results.


Our room again. The carpet in here was awful! After 3 years of living here all the carpet in the house looked like it was 20 years old. I ripped out the carpet in our room about 2 years ago and just put a coat of porch paint on the subfloor to make do until we redo this room.


The batteries in my camera ran out before I could take pictures of my bathroom and the boys' room. I will have to take those and post them tomorrow. So I guess that means there will be a part III!
Until tomorrow-good night all!

Eva

2 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

I know it's hard to look at everyday all the things we want to change...I look around my own place and just say "ugh" (many times a day!) Fortunately, there is potential in everything...nothing that a little time, money, and elbow grease won't fix!

Are you planning on painting your cabinets or replacing them? I bet they would look fabulous painted!

I pulled up all the carpet in my bedroom a couple of weeks ago - just got sick of the old carpet. I will probably paint the subfloor, too, until we can buy our flooring. Anything is better than old carpet, I say!

Eva said...

We will replace all the cabinets when we redo the kitchen. That will probably be quite a while though. I have thought of painting the cabinets just to make do until we get to the kitchen remodel.